Thursday, March 24, 2005

The Press


Let me take the time to tell you about the greatest people on the planet, the Press girls. The Press is my other office, where I can write, or stop and stare out the window at snow falling and minimal traffic, or strike up a conversation with the employees.

Amy's the manager. When you go in, she smiles at you like you were friends, because you are. And she always has a homeopathic solution for your ailes, not knowing her face already healed you. Her sister, Carrie, has the same quality. I hope they both bear children and populate this dreary planet with their goodness. When you're with them, you feel like thorns are being lifted out of your flesh.

Sometimes, when they're not in school, Shelby and Erica work the Press.

Erica's a rarity, actually, but when you find her, it's like finding a four-leafed clover. She speaks with high energy, proudly proclaiming her "nerdy" qualities, but makes you believe in nerds like they're the saviors of the world. She'll surely save the world from something, someday.

Shelby - Shelbzers - my little sister, is a small and spunky spright with a mop of fierce brown hair she waves like a pompom, mainly when she's expounding on the topic of boys. And it's hard not to get brotherly. I supply her with bag lunches full of advice, daily, knowing she's not obliged to hear me, but saying it makes me feel safe. Her innate nurturing qualities are pushing through, if only we can suppress them until after college!

Then there's Jordan. What can I say about Jordan. First of all, he's not one of the Press "girls." He and Shelby keep me furnished with laughter and feeling young, and sometimes they listen to me.

They're all decent, good people, all of whom I'd consider taking if I was assigned to a quarantined safety bubble to undertake saving the human race for future generations because a mass virus broke out all over the world. I'd be chaplain/humorist, naturally.

(More later...)

2 Comments:

At 7:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I am a stickler:

Amy and Carrie should "bear" children, not "bare" them.

Once a copy editor...

 
At 5:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So I am a stickler:

Amy and Carrie should "bear" children, not "bare" them.

Once a copy editor...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home