Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Burning Man Project 2006

Dear Princess Leah,
Okay, there it is. Burning Man, 2006. One week, 40,000 people, one desert, thousands of theme-camps, a thunderdome*, a full-size pirate ship, masses of painted people, no rules, and one giant wooden man to be set ablaze. And me? I'm 200 miles from where they have it. I have to go right? It's the rules. Tickets are $250. Hey, it's an experience. So, for the sake of this decision, your comments will sway me. Of course, all are invited to come join.

The thing is, some people think the Burning Man is a big pagan, pot smoking bash, and they're not entirely wrong. But then I came across this article, and it put things in better perspective. I emailed that guy and asked if I could meet and hang out with his group. The thing is, I'm not going to stand by and condemn the artistic expression, and hopefully, they'll understand that I want to help minister, but also to join in at some level, so long as I'm not joining in what I feel is sin.

*Thunderdome: right when I wrote that word, the girl behind the counter at It's A Grind said "Mad Maxx" while naming drinks off to a customer. A sign! Or not! How did she know to say Mad Maxx right when I was writing the word Thunderdome? Wow, is all I have to say. In case you don't know how the two are related, see here.

Recent movies: Miami Vice ***, Pirates ****, Cold Mountain ****
Currently reading: On Writing, Stephen King; Treasure Island, Robert Louis Stevenson.

7 Comments:

At 1:56 AM, Blogger Medio Pomelo said...

Go Steve Go!!! And have fun, make new friends, find inner peace, contemplate about the life and the universe and everything, give out bottles of water... I think it sounds like a grand idea and I would love to hear what you made of it.

So are you a born again Christian? I should look through your blog, Im sure the answer is there...

 
At 9:59 AM, Blogger Steve Sheppard said...

Yes, with all my heart, but I don't advertise it or beat people over the head with my Bible, as much as I'd like to sometimes for other reasons. =o]

 
At 5:12 AM, Blogger Medio Pomelo said...

What are the reasons you would like to beat people on the head for with a Bible?

 
At 6:19 PM, Blogger Steve Sheppard said...

For no other reason than the Bible's a large, heavy and blundt object and would deliver a proper blow, you can be sure! And to some, that's the best they'll ever get out of one.

 
At 1:51 AM, Blogger Medio Pomelo said...

hehehe, very funny!!! :)) Tell me you didnt misunderstand my question just chose not to answer it! :)

 
At 11:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Steve-

What I love about you is that you are utterly unconventional.

Go to Burning Man! You will not regret it.

 
At 11:20 PM, Blogger Amy said...

So did you go? I've always thought it would be a blast!

Amy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home