Saturday, August 05, 2006

"Fifteen Men..."

Finished Treasure Island today, and here's a snippit from one of my favorite parts. Young Jim Hawkins mistakenly falls into the pirates' camp by night and here is defended by their captain, Long John Silver...

"That's your sort, is it?" he added, returning his pipe to his mouth. "Well, you're a gay lot to look at, anyway. Not much worth to fight, you ain't. P'r'aps you can understand King George's English. I'm cap'n here by 'lection. I'm cap'n here because I'm the best man by a long sea-mile. You won't fight as gentlemen o' fortune should; then, by thunder, you'll obey, and you may lay to it! I like that boy, now; I never seen a better boy than that. He's more a man than any pair of rats of you in this here house, and what I say is this: let me see him that'll lay a hand on him - that's what I say, and you may lay to it." p. 179

4 Comments:

At 1:55 AM, Blogger Medio Pomelo said...

Huhhh. Took me some effort to de-code. There was a book once I tried to read by scottish author cantrememberhisname, called Trainspotting (have you seen the film? a classic) and had to give up. It was written the way the scots speak...

 
At 6:10 PM, Blogger Jason said...

I like your new picture, Steve. You actually look kind of handsome with that handsome expression on your face.

 
At 10:39 AM, Blogger Medio Pomelo said...

Oh yeah! Absolutely Jason! :)) Reminds me of Joey from Friends and I meant it as a compliment.

 
At 11:16 PM, Blogger Steve Sheppard said...

Thanks guys - I actually describe that expression as "pure smarm."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home